Skip to main content

Belize customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Belize to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Belize make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Belize customs regulations.

Import regulations in Belize

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. One of the following:

  • 200 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars;
  • or 250 grams of tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 1 litre of spirits or wine.

Cash limit

  • There are no restrictions on the importation of currency into Belize.
  • Funds of more than BZ$10,000 must be declared through a Report of Currency Importation.

Other Goods

  • Imports from countries within the Caribbean common market (Caricom) are exempted from the payment of import duty provided the importer produces a Certificate of Origin from the country within the Common Market certifying that the goods were produced within the region of the common market.
  • Goods to a value of BZ$200 for personal use or gifts can be bought in up to a total of BZ$600 per family.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Animals or their derivative products that are prohibited by the Minister under the Animals (Disease & Importation) Act to prevent the introduction and spread of disease.
  • Counterfeit goods, or plates or devices to making counterfeit goods.
  • Food products intended for food which are unfit for human consumption.
  • Printed literature, photographs, videos or any other media which are, in the opinion of the Minister, contrary to the public interest.
  • Counterfeit currency.
  • Fictitious stamps, or instruments capable of making fictitious stamps.
  • Any pistol or other apparatus in the form of a pen or pencil capable of firing cartridges.
  • Gold or silver in any form bearing assay marks but which are below the standard indicated by the marks.
  • Indecent or obscene media.
  • Knives able to be automatically released, such as flick names and gravity knives.
  • Pesticides listed in the Fourth Schedule of the Pesticide Control Act.
  • Pipes or other utensils to be used for the consumption of opium.
  • Dangerous drugs and psychotropic substances as defined and prohibited in the Misuse of Drugs Act.
  • Any other goods the importation of which is prohibited by any law or regulation.
  • Certain Ozone Depleting Substances.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Live animals, including pets.
  • Antibiotics must be from a pharmaceutical firm approved by the Minister.
  • Antiques and artefacts which are of archaeological value or interest are restricted from import except with a licence in writing granted by the Minister.
  • Any apparatus or a component part thereof for transmission by radio waves except with a permit granted by the Belize Telecommunications Limited or by a licence holder authorised by the Company to deal with such apparatus in the course of trade or business.
  • Any goods which bear a design imitation of any currency except with the permission of the Central Bank of Belize.
  • Bees, honey, or bee-keepers stock, except with the prior written permission of the Chief Agricultural Officer.
  • Any currency, bank or other goods which are prohibited to be imported by Part IV of the Exchange Control Regulations, except with the permission of the Competent Authority.
  • Any firearms and ammunition (with the exception of the goods mentioned below) require a licence granted by the Commissioner of Police.
  • Military, naval, or aerial warfare types of arms require written permission of the Chief Executive Officer to the Ministry of Defence.
  • Flavouring essences which, in the opinion of the Comptroller of Customs and Excise could be mixed with brandy, whisky, or gin, except where such essences are imported for mixing in a bonded warehouse.
  • Gunpowder and other explosives require a licence granted by the Minister.
  • Herbs or plants to be used as a drug or medicine require the written permission of the Director of Health Services.
  • Medicinal dangerous drugs as defined in the Misuse of Drugs Act except under and in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the Import Authorisation granted in the prescribed form by the Director of Health Services.
  • Pesticides listed in the Second and Third Schedule of the Pesticides Control Act require a licence from the Pesticides Control Board.
  • Plants or fruits unless they are accompanied by a plant certificate.
  • Plants, animals, vegetable organisms, and articles similar to plants or animals likely to cause infection to or which may prohibit the growth of plants must be accompanied by written permission of the Plant Quarantine Committee/Chief Agricultural Officer.
  • Weapons designed for the discharge of noxious liquid or gas except with the authority of the Minister.
  • Any animals other than those kept in a domesticated state require a licence issued under the Wild Life Protection Act.
  • Any other goods, the importation of which is restricted by any law or regulation, such as the Import Control Regulations, except when in conformity with the restrictions, conditions, laws and/or other requirements laid down in such law or regulation.
  • Gaming machines require a permit granted by the Minister.
  • Ozone Depleting Gases require a licence issued by the Department of the Environment.
  • Any live plants, food products including fruit and vegetables, products derived from plants such as lumber, and animal feed require permits from the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries.
  • Pets require permits from the Belize Agricultural Health Authority.

Information has been updated: .