Skip to main content

Cuba customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Cuba to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Cuba make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Cuba customs regulations.

Import regulations in Cuba

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. One of the following:

  • 400 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars;
  • 500 grams of tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

  • 2.5 litres of alcohol;
  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over.

Cash limit

  • Funds of US$5000 (or its foreign equivalent) or more must be declared to the customs authorities.

Other Goods

  • Personal goods, including jewellery, electronics, sports equipment, and musical instruments.
  • Up to 10kg of personal medication.
  • New or used goods up to a value of CUP$1000.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
  • Precursor substances.
  • Explosives and hazardous chemicals.
  • Hemoderivatives.
  • Pornographic literature and other media.
  • Media which attacks the general interests of the nation.
  • Live animals and their derivative products which are susceptible to be carriers of disease.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Cats and dogs must be vaccinated against rabies, and accompanied by an Official Veterinary Certification from the country of origin. For further information, please visit the Institute of Veterinary Medicine.
  • Canned food products.
  • Products of animal origin that have been treated.
  • Firearms and ammunition require authorisation from the Directorate of Public Security of the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Endangered animals, plants, and their derivative products protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) may require protected species permits. For further information, please visit CITES.

Information has been updated: .