Skip to main content

Ecuador customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Ecuador to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Ecuador make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Ecuador customs regulations.

Import regulations in Ecuador

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. All of the following:

  • 20 packs of cigarettes;
  • 25 cigars;
  • and 1 pound of tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 3 litres of alcohol.

Cash limit

  • There are no restrictions on the import of currency, however amounts exceeding US$10,000 must be declared.

Other Goods

  • 300mL perfume per person, or 600mL perfume total per family group.
  • Personal goods such as clothing, jewellery, toiletries, books, sporting equipment, electronics, and toys.
  • Medications should be accompanied by a prescription.
  • Gifts and personal effects up to a value of US$2000.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Any media featuring child pornography.
  • Illegal narcotic drugs.
  • Counterfeit medical devices.
  • Counterfeit and pirated goods.
  • Chemical waste and hazardous substances.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Travellers may bring a maximum of 2 live pets into Ecuador. Pets should be accompanied by an animal health certificate from their country of origin, and will require an animal sanitary permit upon arrival.
  • Endangered animals, plants, and their derivative products protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) may require protected species permits.
  • Plants and plant products require a phytosanitary certificate and a permit. For further information, please visit General Coordination of Plant Protection.
  • Processed food must be properly sealed in non-commercial quantities, and may be subject to restriction by Agrocalidad.
  • Firearms, ammunition, and explosives require a permit.

Information has been updated: .