Skip to main content

Gambia customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Gambia to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Gambia make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Gambia customs regulations.

Import regulations in Gambia

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 200 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars;
  • or 250 grams tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 1 litre of alcohol.

Other goods

  • 250mL perfume.
  • 50 grams of personal jewellery.
  • Goods for personal use, including electronics and sports and camping equipment.
  • Food in proportion to the needs of the traveller.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Obscene publications and goods.
  • Narcotics.
  • Counterfeit currency.
  • Subversive publications likely to disturb public order.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Weapons and ammunition require authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Transceivers require authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Medication (other than for personal needs) requires an authorisation form stamped by the Ministry of Health.
  • Meat and offal requires a health certificate issued by the Ministry of Livestock.
  • Endangered animals, plants, and their derivative products protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) may require protected species permits.
  • Animals are subject to certain import restrictions, and may require permission from the Ministry of Agriculture.

Information has been updated: .