Skip to main content

Mongolia customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Mongolia to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Mongolia make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Mongolia customs regulations.

Import regulations in Mongolia

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 200 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars; and
  • 250 grams tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

  • Restricted to travellers 18 years and over;
  • 1 litre spirits;
  • 2 litres wine; and
  • 3 litres beer.

Cash limit

  • Funds of more than MNT15 million must be declared to the customs authorities.

Other Goods

  • Personal clothing and goods, including electronic devices, wheelchairs, and sports equipment.
  • Medication may be imported for personal use.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country:

  • Counterfeit goods.
  • Historical and cultural monuments.
  • Medication that requires injections, antibiotic injections, narcotics, blood and plasma, and immunologic preparations.
  • Narcotics and illegal drugs, and equipment for their use and production.
  • Devices for using drugs and distilling alcoholic drinks.
  • Hazardous chemicals.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Firearms and ammunition require special permits.
  • Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances for medical and scientific purposes require an import licence, which are issued on a case-by-case basis by the Central Government Office.
  • Animals, plants, and their derivative products require permission from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism.
  • Animal and plant species and their derivative products as outlined by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) will require permissions from CITES.

Information has been updated: .