Skip to main content

Sao Tome and Principe customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Sao Tome and Principe to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Sao Tome and Principe make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Sao Tome and Principe customs regulations.

Import regulations in Sao Tome and Principe

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. One of the following:

  • 400 cigarettes;
  • or 500 grams of tobacco and tobacco products.

Bringing alcohol

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. Both of the following:

  • 1 litre of more than 40% alcohol volume;
  • 2 litres of fortified, sparkling, or still wine.

Other Goods

  • 250mL cologne, shaving cream, or moisturiser.
  • 50mL perfume.
  • Goods for personal use, such as clothing, books, toys, and toiletries.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Distilled beverages containing harmful essences, such as wormwood, benzoic aldehyde, Badia, ethers, salicilico, and hyssop.
  • Explosives.
  • Counterfeit copies of literary and artistic works.
  • Medicines and food products harmful to public health.
  • Pornographic photographs, films, and other media.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival.

  • Devices for creating alcohol require a permit for import from the Ministry of Commerce.
  • Denatured or undenatured alcohol can only be imported with special permission.
  • Animal and vegetable products require a certificate of origin and will be subject to inspection on arrival.
  • Roots, tubers, bulbs, cuttings, and cuttings require a licence from the Ministry of Agriculture.
  • Medicines require permission from the Ministry of Health.
  • Endangered animals, plants, and their derivative products protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) may require protected species permits.

Information has been updated: .