Skip to main content

Togo customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Togo to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Togo make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Togo customs regulations.

Import regulations in Togo

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. One of the following:

  • 10 packets of cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars;
  • 50 grams loose tobacco;
  • or a proportional combination of these goods.

Bringing alcohol

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. All of the following:

  • 1 bottle spirits;
  • 1 bottle wine.

Cash limit

  • Travellers may import up to the equivalent of CFA2,000,000 in foreign currency, and must declare it to the customs authority.

Other Goods

  • 1 bottle of eau de toilette and 1 bottle of perfume.
  • Food for the personal use of the traveller during their visit.
  • Other goods for personal use, such as 50g jewellery, personal electronics, sports equipment, and musical instruments.
  • Togolese citizens may also import gifts up to a value of CFA200,000 once per year.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Obscene publications in any form.
  • Drugs.
  • Subversive publications likely to disturb public order.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival:

  • Arms and ammunition require authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Transmitter receiver decides require authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Medicines (other than for personal use) require authorisation issued in the form of a visa by the Ministry of Health.
  • Meat and offal require a health certificate issued by the Ministry of Livestock.
  • Double tomato concentrate requires a certificate of standardisation issued b the Ministry of Trade.
  • Endangered animals, plants, and their derivative products protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) may require protected species permits.
  • Hydrocarbons require prior approval granted by the Ministry of Energy.
  • Gold requires prior approval granted by the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

Information has been updated: .