Skip to main content

Vanuatu customs regulations

It is important to know about customs regulations before traveling to Vanuatu to avoid legal issues and potential fines. As you know, customs regulations widely depend on the country. Before traveling to (or from) Vanuatu make sure to check the allowance and limits for the next things:

  • Alcohol and tobacco
  • Currency
  • Medicines (especially those containing drugs)
  • Animals
  • Cultural artifacts
  • Plants, fruits, vegetables and other agricultural products

Check the information below to be sure that you are complying with Vanuatu customs regulations.

Import regulations in Vanuatu

Duty-free allowance

Tobacco limit

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. One of the following:

  • 250 cigarettes;
  • 100 cigarillos;
  • 25 cigars;
  • or 250 grams of tobacco.

Bringing alcohol

Restricted to travellers 18 years and over. All of the following:

  • 2.25 litres of spirits;
  • 2.25 litres of wine;
  • 9 litres beer.

Cash limit

  • Funds of more than 1,000,000VT or its foreign equivalent must be declared to the customs authorities.

Other Goods

  • 250mL eau de toilette and 100mL of perfume.
  • All other new or used personal goods, including gifts, not exceeding 50,000VT value in total.
  • A reasonable amount of medication for personal use may be imported if accompanied by a prescription.

Prohibited items

The following are goods which cannot be brought into the country.

  • Absinthe.
  • Any beef originating from Europe.
  • Copra.
  • Any obscene material as described in the Obscenity Act.
  • Any offensive weapon as defined in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1969.
  • Any ozone depleting substances and synthetic greenhouse gases.

Restricted items

These goods are strictly regulated, and in most cases require a permit to be obtained prior to arrival:

  • Firearms and ammunition require a permit from the Vanuatu Police Force.
  • Live animals, including pets, require a permit from the Principle Veterinary Officer.
  • Dangerous drugs require an import permit from the Minister of Health.
  • Explosives require a permit from the Minister of Internal Affairs.
  • Fauna and flora require a permit from the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources.
  • Food which is considered to be unfit for human consumption requires a permit from the Chief Food Authority.
  • Plants and plant products require a permit from the Minister of Agriculture.
  • Pets require a permit for import.

Information has been updated: .